Applauding our 2017-2018 Sponsors
The Cicada Awards is being supported once again by renowned underwater cinematographer and founder of Ocean Ark Alliance OAA, David Hannan.
Thanks to David and OAA we have an Under 12 Category and this year have been able to introduce an Oceans Category. But David’s generosity doesn’t stop there: he allows entrants to use his fabulous footage in their films! Note that Cicada Awards Terms & Conditions allow no more than 30% third party content in entries. Accolades for David and the amazing work OAA do in and for our marine environments.
We’ve also gained support from BIRO Birds Injured, Rehabilitated and Orphaned who will sponsor the 3rd Prize in the Open Category. Thank you BIRO for your support of the Cicada Awards and your service to our winged wildlife!
In addition to the cash prizes we will once again present prizes for Highly Recommended Films and Encore Awards. There are Family Passes to SEQ’s greatest nature-themed destinations: Tangalooma Island Resort, Australia Zoo and Currumbin Sanctuary. Make a trip to these great locations and support those who support the Cicada Awards and our wildlife.
There’s also the Frequent Views Reward from Rotary Sunrise Club who’ll be awarding a cheque for $250 to the 2016 Entrant who got the most number of YouTube views for their films. So be sure to take a look at the 2016 films here
AND . . . the Perpetual Trophy, awarded to a Teacher/School for an outstanding contribution to the Cicada Awards. If you’ve had a lot of support from a Teacher, let us know to put them in the running for 2017!
Many thanks to our 2016 Cicada Awards Sponsors
It takes many people to make the Cicada Awards happen and a big THANK YOU to those who have helped!
We like to help those who help us so here’s a bit about them and how you might be able to help too.
Major Cash Prize are donated by:
- Wildlife Preservation Society of Qld Bayside Branch (Open Category). You can help WPSQBB in their campaigns, monitoring or fundraising i.e. save your aluminium (and other metals) as these are collected and recycled to provide much-needed funds
- Ocean Ark Alliance, and David Hannan (U12 Category & Oceans Category). OAA supports, sponsors and promotes marine education and conservation. Find out more about how you can be involved by checking out the OAA Webpage
Major Prizes in 2016 were donated by:
Additional Prizes, promotional material and in-kind support have been provided by:
- Harvey Norman Cleveland
- OfficeWorks Capalaba
- Cleveland Office Supplies
- Rotary Club Cleveland
- Rotary Club Redlands Sunrise
- Louise Saunders from Drawing on Nature, Botanical Artist, Illustrator, Sculptor & Tutor
- Sandra Temple Australian Wildlife Artist, Illustrator, Writer, Tutor
- Gail Higgins Life Member QWASI, Illustrator, Tutor
- The Dugong Collective Promoting the well-being and sustainable future of Moreton Bay and its indigenous wildlife
- Wildlife Queensland Coastal Citizen Science Conducting seagrass and mangrove monitoring in Moreton Bay; partnering the scientific and volunteer communities; and putting you in the picture
- Julie Geldard from VidPicPro who has taken the happy snaps
Judging Panelists give up their time to share their knowledge and professionalism in performing this important role
Members of the Judging Panel have backgrounds in film, journalism and environmental education. To give youth another chance to be heard, 1st Prize Winners have been included on the Judging Panel the year following their Award. Read more about them.
Special Guests at the Premiere Screening:
Bringing it all together on the night takes some skills and we thank Cr Paul Bishop for being MC at the 2014, 2015 and 2016 Premiere Screening and Awards Night. Councillor Bishop has a long history in the arts and won an 2015 Australian Screen Industry Network Award for his advocacy for the arts, artists, the sector, and for the industry. You can learn more about Paul’s work via Facebook
Providing loads of inspiration, information and fun at the 2015 Awards Evening was Madi “Shark Girl” Stewart who enthralled the audience with her passion, knowledge and skills which has her work featured by the Smithsonian Institute. Madi was unable to join us for the 2016 Awards Night but sent words of encouragement to the entrants and a trailer of her 2016 film The Shark Hunters was screened. You can follow Madi on Facebook
Sponsor of the U12 category and the new Oceans Category is David Hannan, founder of Ocean Ark Alliance. At the time of the 2016 Premiere Screening & Awards Night David was filming coral reefs but remains supportive and sent his best wishes to entrants. Present was another marine conservationist-educator, founder and director of Ocean Crusaders . . . thanks Ian Thomson aka “Thommo” for attending and assisting with the awards of U12 prizes.
If you’d like to join us in giving youth a chance to be heard through the Cicada Awards with sponsorship or in-kind support please contact us –
we’d love to hear from you!